Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Quel temps fait-il?

Ah high school french. I remember making so many inane "skits" with those same old phrases. How are you? What's the weather today? What would you like to do today?

Well today high school french came back to me (but only a little). When the weather is good you say, "Il fait beau." When it's bad you say, "Il fait mauvais." But today...Il pleut!! The weather forecast for the whole week is rain. And lots of it.

It started after I got to work, and it just rained and rained for the rest of today. Which is a real shame because I heard there was a running club at the WHO, and they run up some trails in the hills. It would have been so nice to get out in the green. But alas, twas not to be so. And here comes my big

EXPOSE of the W.H.O!!!
I'm determined to exercise at least once this week. They are the world HEALTH organization. And yet how do they take care of their own health? Well I can tell you first off, there's not a big push for exercise. To escape the rain I tried to find the "fitness center" today, and no one has really used it. Now I know why; it is hidden in an obscure corner of the basement floor and is probably the size of your bedroom. It has a stair machine that I can only describe as decrepit and a bicycle machine whose power does not come on. One of the weight benches collapsed as I tried to lean on it. Shambles I tell you...disgraceful shambles.

In all fairness to the W.H.O., Geneva is an expensive place where gym membership usually costs 300 swiss francs a month! WHO does have a newer fitness center that you can use if you pay their personal trainer, but not me. I'm a cheap intern. WHO does seem to promote healthy eating habits too. The WHO lunchtime restaurant has a healthy salad bar...I'll give it that.

So God, in His mercy, showed me grace and lifted the clouds as I was heading home. There was a break in the rain just long enough for me to get in a quick run before it started up again. The run really lifted my spirits and helped me enjoy the city a little bit more.

On a more relevant topic:
Today I met my boss, Louise Plouffe. Well she's more like my project mentor. She is in charge of the Emergency Preparedness for Seniors project has been my contact while I was in SF. She comes off as a really sweet older woman. Louise took me to lunch at the WHO cafe and we just talked a while about older people, her work in Geneva and how she came here from Canada.
In Geneva and the WHO, people are always coming and going, so I think you get to know each other quickly and you're also prepared to say goodbye at the drop of a hat. Anyway...she's chill. I like her.

Most of my 'productive' work hours are actually spent looking up things to do over the weekend and shopping online. What else? Hehe. Apparently there was a big Dior fashion show at Versailles the other night. Wish I could have been there. =)

2 comments:

ittybittybiki said...

sounds good! use those high school french skills! don't forget to try the chocolate... mm swiss chocolate... hahaha~

Sus K. said...

it's good you're finding the time to exercise! it's essential. :)