Friday, August 3, 2007

Favorite Movie Experience of All Time

At left is a picture of Port Noir on Lake Geneva. It is the beautiful site of the open air cinema that happens every evening in summer. Here Orange Cinema of Switzerland shows the summer blockbusters out on a big screen right on the lake.

I went for the first time yesterday, and OH MAN it was amazing! I was just in love with the whole experience. You can watch the sunset over the lake before the movie starts, and while the movie plays, the city lights twinkle on the lake and the jet d'eau is a bright fountain in the background.


Half the movies shown at Orange Cinema are in English and the other half are in French, so you don't have many choices. Ratatouille and a bunch of other blockbusters were being shown in French. Ocean's thirteen was playing yesterday in English, and I went to watch with the Young Adults Group at a church I visited recently. It was great fun, and I really appreciated such a nice diversion for the evening.


The ticket prices are a bit steep, but you get a bunch of goodies by the promoting companies. You also get a bright yellow poncho in case it rains. (They'd rather give you the poncho than cancel the movie.) This may come in handy for me if I go visit the waterfalls in Lauterbrunnen. =) score!


It's such a romantic experience. Europe seems to be chock full of romantic experiences. Especially in the touristy cities you see a lot of people in the act of gratuitous displays of public affection. Sometimes you want to gag, and sometimes it's just part of the city's charm.


I heard about open air movies in SF, and I wonder if they'll be any fun. One more thing to add to the to-do list when I get back!


1 comment:

Sus K. said...

sounds like you had so much fun! nice~!