Friday, August 3, 2007

The Day Off

Just thought I'd post about my day off on Swiss National Day.

After a run in the morning, I went to a BBQ held at Simon and Michelle's home across the border in France. They are the leaders of a Young Adult's Group (YAG) at a church I visited last Sunday. Simon bought a big house several years back to use for various ministry functions, and he often hosts events for the YAGs at this lovely home. I got to try out my new swimming suit (bought in Barcelona) at the pool and enjoy BBQ for the first time in Europe. Running a church group in Geneva seems very difficult to me because most people are there for the short term. I asked Michelle how they could be so inviting and generous with people like me who they will likely only see a few more times. She answered that once when she had been new, someone had been inviting and generous with her, and now she gets to be that person. For her, it's a joy getting to know so many people and seeing how God works in their lives.

I can't say enough what an answered prayer it was to be amongst such loving people. Their hospitality and friendship has taught me a lot about reaching out to others. I hope I can mirror even a little of the way they live with the love of God in their hearts.

After the BBQ, we returned to Geneva in the evening. It turns out the BIG fireworks will be in 2 weeks time for the Fete de Genève. However there was a fireworks show in the Park des Bastions for the national holiday. I went with some of the dormitory girls, and we ooh'ed and ahh'ed over the explosions set to music from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mary Poppins and the Sound of Music. It was very Disney-esque. I went home happy and sentimental. =)

1 comment:

Caristi said...

hi irene! happy swiss day, or however you say it. i'm guessing you're out hiking somewhere fabulous - hope you enjoy :)